I love taking a simple cocktail and making it fancy with details and presentation. One of the best examples is a Deconstructed Gin & Tonic. I wanted to exaggerate the flavor notes of the gin by infusing it with the same botanicals it was originally made with. The result is essentially an *ubergin explosion*, with heavy botanical accents just perfect for a spring day.
…which was only appropriate when Whitney Leigh Morris invited us over for a garden party for in her #TheTinyCanalCottage in the Venice canals (as seen in this cute Glitter Guide story). This dainty, plush setting called for a fresh, herbaceous cocktail with a delicate, organic style. Thank goodness the gorgeous Monica Wang was on hand to capture the moment!
If you read the label of your gin, you’ll learn some of the botanicals it is distilled with. I used Art in the Age SAGE gin, made with things like sage, rosemary, thyme, mint, lavender, cardamom, marigold, etc. So I rounded them all up and added a sprig or petal or pod of each to the gin.
Deconstructed Gin & Tonic:
1) Do a little research to see what your gin is made with. Some are more floral, while others are more herbaceous.
2) Use a funnel to fill mini bottles about 1/3 full with the gin.
3) Pick some of the botanicals to infuse the gin. Drop a sprig of each in the bottles.
4) Let the gin infuse overnight (or as you prep for the party).
5) Just before guests arrive, use the funnel to pour tonic into the bottles. (Pour slowly down the side of the funnel to avoid a fizzy overflow.) It’s important to choose a high quality tonic like Fever Tree or Q-Tonic. Cap right away to keep the carbonation in.
6) Garnish with an edible flower or one of the botanicals. It adds color and also aroma to the already sensual experience!
PRETTY POINTS: For an elevated presentation (pun intended), stack the bottles on a cake tray – it beautifully frames your cocktails, and also creates more table-top space for displaying tea cups or glassware.
Now, doesn’t that give you a lovely excuse to have the ladies over?
Proin facilisis elit vitae mollis faucibus. Proin vitae massa nec mauris dictum consequat. Maecenas congue non felis a malesuada. Phasellus ullamcorper laoreet felis eu viverra. In at tincidunt tortor. Praesent tempor eros vitae elit dignissim, vitae elementum dui dapibus. Duis tristique, ligula eget lobortis accumsan, nibh enim venenatis urna, a commodo elit ex ac urna.